Safe at Cambrian

Cambrian's Commitment to Survivors of Sexual Assault

Anyone who has experienced sexual violence has the right to:
Previous Next

be treated with dignity and respect

be believed

be informed about on and off-campus services and resources

decide whether or not to access available services and to choose those services he/she feel will be most beneficial

decide whether to report to campus security and/or local police

have an on-campus investigation with the institution's full cooperation

have a safety plan

have reasonable and necessary actions taken to prevent further unwanted contact with the alleged perpetrator(s)

Safe at Cambrian

Find Support

  • If you are a student, call Counselling at 705-566-8101, ext. 7311 or contact them via email at
  • If you are an employee of the College, you can access Cambrian's Employee & Family Assistance Program 24/7 at 1-800-890-9052 or through the "myEAP" app.
  • Women can call the Assaulted Women's Helpline 24/7 at 1-866-863-0511.
  • Men can call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line for Men 24/7 at 1-866-887-0015.
What should I do if someone tells me about an act of sexual violence ?

Whether you're a student, instructor, teaching assistant, coach, or staff from residence, Medical Clinic, counselling or security, a person may choose to confide in you about an act of sexual violence. Someone who has experienced sexual violence may also disclose to staff or faculty members when seeking support and/or academic accommodation. You can be supportive by:

  • listening without judgement and accepting the disclosure as true;
  • communicating that sexual violence is never the responsibility of the survivor;
  • helping the individual identify and/or access available on or off-campus services, including emergency medical care and counselling;
  • respecting the individual's right to choose the services they feel are most appropriate and to decide whether to report to the police and/or the Manager, Equity, Human Rights, and Accessibility at 705-566-8101, ext. 7235;
  • recognizing that disclosing can be traumatic and an individual's ability to recall the events may be limited;
  • respecting the individual's choices as to what and how much they disclose about their experience; and
  • making every effort to respect confidentiality and anonymity.
Important information for Cambrian College employees:

If a disclosure is made to you by a student seeking support or academic accommodation, you should refer the student to the Glenn Crombie Centre for Student Support, and work with the Glenn Crombie Centre staff to ensure that the student receives all necessary academic and other accommodations.

If become aware of an allegation of sexual violence against another member of the College community, you are required to report the incident to your supervisor or that person's supervisor.

Other Resources
Violence Intervention and Prevention Program (VIPP) - Health Sciences North

41 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury ON

VIPP is a 24/7 program that provides acute care, treatment and counselling to persons who have been victimized by sexual assault and domestic violence. The program also provides assessment and treatment for child physical abuse.

Services include injury assessment and treatment, medical treatment for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention, photo documentation of injuries, evidence collection (sexual assault kit), counselling and referrals to support services.

VIPP also has a role in community advocacy, education and research to end violence.

YWCA Genevra House


Support Services for women experiencing abuse by their intimate partners.

The team at YWCA Genevra House offers a full range of support programs for the residents of Genevra House and for women in the community. Our programs are available to all women wanting to build a life free from abuse, whether they are staying at Genevra House or living elsewhere. We also provide support to older women experiencing abuse by their live-in caregiver.

All of our programs are based on our belief in a woman’s right to make the choices that are best for her.

Centre Victoria pour Femmes


Par le bias de l’intervention féministe, le Centre Victoria pour femmes offre des services d’intervention individuelle et de groupe ainsi que de l’accompagnement, de l’aiguillage et représentation. La prévention, la sensibilisation et l’éducation sont aussi au coeur de l’intervention et sont intégrés à l’ensemble des moyens utilisés pour prévenir et abolir la violence contre les femmes. Nos services sont offerts principalement aux femmes francophones de 16 ans et plus dans les régions du Grand-Sudbury et de l’Algoma.

Sudbury Women’s Centre

324 Elm Street, Sudbury ON

The SWC is a charitable organization dedicated to serving the needs of women in the Greater Sudbury seeking service in a broad range of areas.

Cambrian College – Women’s Resource Centre

705-566-8101 ext. 7426

The Women's Resource Centre is located within Cambrian College. It provides information and resources to women including staff, faculty and students. We encourage all women to take action in addressing issues that concern them.

Assaulted Women’s Helpline


The helpline is available 24hrs/day, 7 days a week and services are available in 200 languages.


1-855-544-HEAL (4325)

Talk4healing is a free and culturally safe telephone line for Aboriginal women living in Northern Ontario.

Youthline – LGBTQ


The Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Youth Line is a toll-free service provided by youth for youth. We're here to offer support, information and referrals specific to your concerns. We are here because we want to be there for you – to be part of your community. We may not have lived your experiences exactly, but we can probably relate. We too, are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirit or queer.

Voices for Women - Sudbury Sexual Assault Centre

96 Larch Street, Suite 305
Sudbury, ON P3E 1C1
Telephone: 705-671-5495
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Voices for Women is a free community-based program that provides services to women 16 years of age and older experiencing trauma from historical sexual violence. If you are a woman who has experienced violence in the past and is looking for services, you may contact VOICES directly to set up an intake.

VOICE is a women safe space.

Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Program

Sexual Assault Crisis Line for Men

24-hour, multilingual, toll-free phone line for immediate crisis and referral. Male survivors of sexual abuse have access to a number of specialized services to help them deal with the impact of abuse, including:

  • individual and group counselling
  • peer support
  • telephone and online counselling
  • referrals to other appropriate community support services to meet other long-term needs that clients may have.
Ministry of the Attorney General Victim Support Line

If you would like to talk with an information and referral counsellor, please call the Victim Support Line at 1-888-579-2888, or 416-314-2447 in the Greater Toronto Area

Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres

Sexual Assault Centres in Ontario offer confidential and free counselling to survivors of recent and historical sexual assault. You can contact a centre to ask about individual or group counselling for survivors of sexual violence.

You can also reach a counsellor by phone at any time by calling a sexual assault centre crisis support line. These confidential, 24-hour phone-lines offer someone immediate to talk to, crisis counselling, support and information for support allies (i.e. parents, partners or friends of survivors), safety planning, information on victim police reporting and medical options, and strategies for coping with flashbacks, memories and feelings.

Sudbury and Area Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Services (VCARS)
Victim Support Line toll-free at 1-888-579-2888 or 416-314-2447 in the Toronto area

VCARS is a community-based service that assists in providing immediate, short-term, emotional, and practical assistance to victims and their families. Further, services are available to any victim or witness who would benefit from additional intervention including, but not limited to incidents of property crime, victims of violence, and victims of circumstance. We have specially trained volunteers who provide confidential assistance 24 hours, 7 days a week.

With a victim’s consent, police will arrange for VCARS staff and/or specially trained volunteers to provide on-site, short-term assistance to victims, and make referrals to community agencies for long-term assistance.